This plugin is no longer being developed. WordPress has had paged comments support in the core since version 2.7. The comment paging you see here is using WordPress’s built-in code and not my plugin.
Paged Comments is a plugin for WordPress to allow comment paging. Useful for those popular blog entries receiving many comments, or a simple guestbook page within WordPress.
- Comment ordering: show latest comments first, or last
- Specify number of comments to display per page
- Enable paging for all posts and pages, or on a per-post basis
- Give users the choice to view all comments on one page with a ‘show all’ link
- Specify the first or last page of comments to load by default
- See paged-comments-config-sample.php for more
Download — Latest Version
- Version 2.9.1 (2008-12-23) (zip file)
- View code at the WP Plugin Repository
Work in progress: Ajax-style Paged Comments (no download yet – AJAX support coming in version 3)
Installation (for WordPress 2.3 up to 2.7)
If you’re upgrading from a previous version, skip these installation steps and read the upgrade steps. Note: WordPress’ automatic upgrade feature will erase the plugin’s config file. If you’re going to use it, make sure you backup your paged-comments-config.php file first.
- Download and extract plugin files to a folder locally.
- Read through and edit paged-comments-config-sample.php to configure, then save the file as paged-comments-config.php.
- Upload the whole paged-comments directory to /wp-content/plugins/. The plugin files should now be in /wp-content/plugins/paged-comments/.
- Enable the plugin through the WordPress admin interface. That’s it!
- WP 2.7 users: If use_wp_config is set to true (default), you can make changes to the plugin config using the WP admin interface. Go to Settings > Discussion and look under ‘Other comment settings’.
- To customise the template to work better with your theme: Open the plugin’s themes folder and find the subfolder corresponding to the WordPress theme you’d like paged comments enabled on (or if your theme isn’t listed, choose the ‘default’ folder). Upload comments-paged.php to the appropriate WordPress theme folder (found in [wordpress]/wp-content/themes/).
For example, if you’re using the default WordPress theme, copy [paged-comments-plugin]/themes/default/comments-paged.php to [wordpress]/wp-content/themes/default/. (The plugin always tries to load comments-paged.php from your active theme folder first.)
Make any modifications to comments-paged.php. The file is based on the comments.php file, so if your theme is very different it might be easier to copy in the necessary elements from paged-comments.php. View the diff report to see what you need to change.
Examples of Use
The comments on this page are handled by the plugin, but it’s also used by the following sites:
- White Town guestbook
- Stuff White People Like
- Thank You Stephen Colbert (not online anymore, but used to have over 60,000 comments!)
If you run a commercial site and you’re having difficulty setting up paged comments, I offer paid support. Feel free to get in touch: keyvan (at) k1m.com