JavaScript-like innerHTML access in PHP

As part of an update to the Five Filters Full-Text RSS service, I’ve been porting some JavaScript code (Arc90′s current version of Readability) to PHP. It contains a lot of DOM manipulation which translates very easily – thanks to PHP5′s DOM support. But one thing I wasn’t able to do was manipulate the DOM tree through the innerHTML property.

In JavaScript, it’s very easy to do. The Mozilla Developer Network’s page on innerHTML gives the following example:

var content = element.innerHTML;
// Returns a string containing the HTML syntax describing all
// of the element's descendants
element.innerHTML = content;
// Removes all of element's descendants, parses the content
// string and assigns  the resulting nodes as descendants of
// the element.

Using PHP’s magic getter and setter methods, it’s possible to extend DOMElement to achieve this type of access and manipulation. My attempt at doing it is JSLikeHTMLElement. Here’s an example of how to use it (with relevant lines highlighted):

require_once 'JSLikeHTMLElement.php';
$doc = new DOMDocument();
$doc->registerNodeClass('DOMElement', 'JSLikeHTMLElement');
$doc->loadHTML('<div><p>Para 1</p><p>Para 2</p></div>');
$elem = $doc->getElementsByTagName('div')->item(0);

// print innerHTML
echo $elem->innerHTML; // prints '<p>Para 1</p><p>Para 2</p>'

// set innerHTML
$elem->innerHTML = 'FF';

// print document (with our changes)
echo $doc->saveXML();

Download: JSLikeHTMLElement.php. Feedback appreciated.

This entry was posted in Code and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted 2 August 2010 at 1:21 am | Permalink

Hey Keyvan,

I’d be really interested to see your progress on porting the changes of Readability to PHP – I took at look at five filters’ source control (here: http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~keyvan/fivefilters/content-only/files ) but that source looks pretty out of date. Do you have any plans on putting your work up anytime soon? Great work so far!

Chris Dary – Tech Lead on Readability at Arc90

2. Posted 4 August 2010 at 8:52 pm | Permalink

Thanks Chris! Readability 1.6.2 has been ported over and will be available soon (probably over the weekend). It’s being used on http://fivefilters.org/content-only/ right now. I’ll email you when it’s up.

Thanks again for the great work on Readability. I’ve just seen your changes to 1.7 and I’m tempted to squeeze a few of those changes in before I release. :)

Keyvan

3. Posted 28 September 2010 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

Hi Keyvan,

This is exactly what I was looking for! Wasn’t looking forward to writing my own implementation! I’ve integrated it into a project I’m working on and will give all due credits.

Great work!

4. Posted 30 September 2010 at 11:20 pm | Permalink

Kevin: that’s good to hear – glad it helped! :)

5. Benny Born
    Posted 28 October 2010 at 9:09 am | Permalink

Oh great, exactly what I needed – I would have gone crazy if I hadn’t found this :)

6. Posted 28 October 2010 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

Benny: glad it helped. :)

7. Posted 17 May 2011 at 9:04 pm | Permalink

You just saved my life… :) Thanks!

8. Kyle Robinson Young
    Posted 10 May 2012 at 1:10 am | Permalink

Genius! Works like a charm. Thanks!

9. Fabien
    Posted 21 November 2012 at 3:37 am | Permalink

Thanks a lot, your function save my life ;)
    Works very fine for me :D